Thank you for taking the time to read our posting guidelines. These rules have been created for the health and safety of everyone in our group and to preserve our culture.
It is also to help people quickly access support they may need and also feel like they have a place that is a sanctuary to freely talk about their mental health.
If in doubt please use the keywords, Admin, Mod, Moderator or @ directly to an admin or mod for assistance, please seek assistance from us first before engaging in problematic posts so you avoid potentially breaking the posting guidelines and rules also. Thank you!
Last update: 29/10/20
(some rules guidelines credit to freelancertools.com)
Use the English language only
- The official and only language used in the ‘We have ADHD’ peer support group is English. So all original posts, links, videos and memes – literally anything you share needs to be in English language. If you can provide a true translation then the removal of post might be considered but all post or comments not in English will be automatically removed by admin or mods.
— Please try search in Facebook or Google if you are looking for groups in your native language, we are sorry we cannot accommodate you but want to encourage you to still reach out for help, or even try use a translator if you must reach out in English so we can do our best to converse with you.
Perform Google searches as well search the Group before asking your questions
- We’re not where you start with your efforts, but we’re where you come after you’ve tried all your search efforts on Google.
- If you tried to solve/search for your issues and find answers to your questions before you came here please put all your findings in the post, e.g. you performed Google search for themes/plugins before you asked for recommendations and you listed all your findings in your question/post.
- When you write e.g. that you did “everything” to find the answer – it is just a general term and in fact it means “nothing” as you gave none usable information. Maybe you don’t have “time” or you don’t have “will” to write what did you do so why we all others would have to give our time to help you out? Think carefully how to phrase and justify your questions and members engagement to help you out without generalized terms like I did “everything, all possible”, search for days…” and similar nonsense terms.
- It’s highly encouraged to search previous posts in the Group for answers to your questions and check pinned post with initial instructions. If you post your question & it’s already been answered, one of the admins could post a link to the previous question & close off further commenting or (if your question was very simple & redundant) it won’t be answered at all and maybe deleted.
- Anything mods or admin deem to be a double up will have an instruction post to redirect the conversation to an existing thread and comments will then be turned off.
Ask questions only related to the Group’s topic(s) or share your knowledge with others
- For additional pointers on Group’s topic(s), check Group’s description as well.
- Off topics (anything not related to this group) will be removed at the discretion of the admins/moderators, various <rants> included.
- Start new topics in their own thread, not as a comment on someone else’s thread.
- Informational posts are allowed as long as: they are not self-promotional posts with intention to sell, and they must have your short personal introductory text written (not just copy-paste link in the group).
Be very descriptive in your questions providing the website’s link and/or screenshot(s), where it’s warranted
- Create a thorough question describing your issue and telling us what you’ve tried and your results (Do Rule #02). In that way, we can potentially point you to other possible solutions without a lot of wasted back-and-forths and you will ensure that you receive the fastest and the most accurate responses from Group members.
- Do NOT add an image just “for attention.” Only add an image if it’s relative to the question you’re asking.
Play nice– keep conversations civil – THINK
Please appreciate this space is to talk about mental health and life with ADHD. We encourage social and entertaining post’s – but please give more than you take, comment on other threads,
join in the community. Let’s keep the vibe here kind, supportive and positive.
1) Be Kind & Courteous
We’re all in this together to create a welcoming environment. Let’s treat everyone with respect. Healthy debates are natural, but kindness is required.
Self-diagnosis via own research is acceptable in our community. We appreciate that access to formal diagnosis is a privilege, expensive and sometimes not even possible. Any sentiment against self-diagnosis is unacceptable.
• Please do not use profane, defamatory, offensive or violent language towards other members. Creative expression is OK, but keep it reasonable, use common sense.
• Please do not “troll” or post deliberately disruptive statements to hijack comment threads or throw discussions off-track.
• Please do not post inappropriate content that does not contribute to the purpose of our online community.
We encourage the ‘THINK’ approach to posts and comments:
Is it True?
Is it Helpful?
Is it Inspiring?
Is it Necessary?
Is it Kind?
2) Keep it on topic – (ADHD/mental health support/peer support)
This is a peer support group for people with ADHD, please do not post irrelevant links. Please ensure all posts relate to ADHD or your mental health. Any other type of post will be declined or removed as spam. Please observe the rules on ‘Bemoaning’ and Shit posting.
(for more details please visit: https://jennhasadhd.com/2020/09/03/posting-guidelines)
3) No Bemoaning
It’s not healthy for your brain or ours. Let’s try not to focus on ADHD weaknesses exclusively.
If you must bemoan, turn it into a ‘request’. At the top of your post write, ‘Workaround Wanted’.
You may be asked to edit and resubmit a post for Modmin to approve and you may be instructed on how. We want everyone to feel supported – so please consider what you are asking from the group, how can we help you as an ADHD peer? Please observe the rules on No Hate speech and bullying and No med shaming.
Example: “I am struggling with _______, do you have any advice?”
“Work around wanted: I need help with this ______”.
Topics like weight-loss, anorexia, self harm, suicide, death and other forms of bereavement or similar potentially upsetting or distressing topics – they must have content warnings. Please refer to the recommended posting format at the bottom of the post.
4) No Hate Speech or Bullying
Make sure everyone feels safe. Bullying of any kind isn’t allowed, and degrading comments about things like race, religion, culture, sexual orientation, gender or identity will not be tolerated.
• Guidelines for talking about religion: You are welcome to talk about your faith in the comments as part of your identity. But as a topic of debate and telling others what to do is not. Please respect that we are a diverse group from all over the world.
• Guidelines for talking about politics/social politics –
(Racism, Classicism, Fascism, Ableism, Sexism etc etc)
We have ADHD is an intersectional mental health support page. We acknowledge that politics and religion are part of self identity and impact our ADHD and mental health. However – discussion around this needs to relate directly to mental health support. Please observe all our other rules and consider before posting.
Am I adding to a conversation or narrative that needs to be discussed in a peer based environment?
Please see our pinned group posts for further discussion on what is and not acceptable to post around these things. If it is based or centred in hate speech it will not be tolerated. We care about all these matters – but as an international SUPPORT group and because of mental health – trigger warnings and content warnings must be used, and the narrative must be requesting a workaround.
Please appreciate: Some people find these topics incredibly upsetting and triggering – keep that in mind that people come to this group to get away from these topics. Please observe rules around being kind, keeping on topic and bemoaning.
5) NO med shaming – anti-science/anti-meds/anti-therapy
Respect that everyone decides to look after their well being in their own way. Modmin will not tolerate coercing or medshaming of any kind. No anti-science/anti-medicine debates thank you – we are here to support each other, this is not the forum for those types of conversations.
Remember this is a support group. Be supportive. Any encouragement for people to disregard professional medical advice regarding medications will not be tolerated.
We recognize that CBD is a popular topic – Modmin are neutral on this matter as the laws across the world in different countries are different. Access to medication and types of therapy across the world vary – we appreciate that CBD and supplements are common types of self-medication. When discussing these topics please do not coerce others. Share your experiences – but keep it on topic – is what I am sharing helping a potentially vulnerable person?
Please do not talk about substance abuse without a Content/Trigger Warning. Self-medicating with weed, alcohol, micro-dosing LSD etc etc is not appropriate advice under any circumstances. (Please see the bottom of post for recommended CW/TW posting format).
6) No explicit material, posts, comments
Keep it R16. No explicit posts. This includes any discussion promoting illegal drug use. Dank memes and humour will be tolerated at the Admin and Modmins discretion.
No explicit content or content that violates copyright or intellectual property rights.
Please do not post or engage in links or comments containing sexually explicit content material or illegal activity. Please do not violate copyright or intellectual property rights or content that relates to confidential or proprietary business information.
Do not post any imagery relating to animal abuse or anything considered explicitly graphic or upsetting to more vulnerable members. Use the THINK guideline.
7) No Promo/Spam/Adverts/Fundraisers/External Links
Give more than you take to this group. Self-promotion, spam and irrelevant links aren’t allowed.
• Self promotion: Please feel free to share your ADHD related projects, but no links to social media accounts, blogs, websites etc.
(temporary note: We are working on a posting schedule to allow threads for this to happen – please do not request to start a thread like this, these events are facilitated by the Modmin team. We are open to suggestions around this so please reach out with your ideas.)
• Spam: Serial group invites is considered Spam, do not do it.
(please observe our keep it on topic rules)
Any solicitation in this group will not be tolerated. If found out, you will be instantly banned.
We grew this group organically – you can do it too.
8) Respect everyone’s privacy
We have ADHD is a mental health support group. We the Admin, take that seriously.
Mental health is serious. People deserve dignity and respect.
Authentic, expressive discussions make groups great, but may also be sensitive and private. Please bear in mind that members often find themselves in challenging and vulnerable situations and being part of this group requires mutual trust. What’s shared in the group stays in the group, participation and the information shared is strictly confidential. It is not appropriate to use information from this group in a work or personal setting. If you have any concerns, please contact the admins or an appropriate agency (if there is a genuine risk concern). Please do not collect private information without disclosure.
Screenshots will not be tolerated – if evidence of this is found please report to Modmin or the Jenn has ADHD page. Members found to be sharing private details or conversations outside of the group will be reported to Facebook and instantly banned from We have ADHD and all affiliated social media accounts.
9) Membership Criteria
This group is a peer-led, peer-based support group for people living with ADHD. It is intended for Adults and so Adult concepts will be potentially discussed.
ADDITIONAL RULES // GUIDELINES:
Do not Block Admins or Modmin, it will be an instant ban.
Content Warning / Trigger Warnings:
If you are worried that your post may be triggering for others, please use this format:
You may be asked to edit your post by admin or modmins. It is nothing personal, it is simply just about keeping our peers in mind.
NO SPOONS POLICY:
Because we are a peer-led peer support group. We have a ‘no spoons’ policy. This means that sometimes, we won’t have the ‘mental spoons’ to deal with a post, the commenting will be turned off till we can resolve it with all parties involved. This is for the wellbeing of everyone’s mental health, including the moderator and administration team. We think it’s the most respectful way to deal with an escalating situation. Everyone’s well being comes first, this also means that post removal and blocking is not taken lightly and if you simply cannot respect the culture of the group or the posting guidelines, the posts or comments will be removed and ultimately you will be banned.
As per our No Spoons policy – Comments will be turned off on posts until the matter is resolved in private. We are not in the business of public reprimand – we think that is humiliating and goes against the core values of this group. You will be contacted by Modmin to discuss if needed. Please check your messenger. Failure to reply or acknowledge the Modmin team regarding a post or comment may result in disciplinary action, and ultimately a ban.
We do not owe anyone, anything, you are a guest here in this group. In the interest of the mental well being of our Modmin team and group members, we will be putting their well being first. We acknowledge that living with ADHD means that we can be reactionary, sensitive, impulsive and maybe misunderstood or misread people’s words and intent – we try to keep this in the forefront of all our decisions. We acknowledge that ADHD is an explanation for some people’s behaviours, but it is no excuse. Please accept you may be held accountable and disciplined if rules are broken. It is not a bias attack from Modmin team, our priority is looking after everyone in the group, we are happy to let 1 person go if it means the rest of us can go on without any drama.
We also appreciate the emotional labour that goes into some problematic posts and comments. In these cases, comments will be turned off with a note from Admin. We do not want to delete these threads – but if they are reported enough by other members, deleting threads are often the only option as it is about everyone in the group not a few individuals. Please respect those decisions.
Please be advised that depending on the severity & frequency of your following actions, in cases if you:
- don’t follow the Groups’ rules
- break rules regardless if you do it unintentionally (e.g. you didn’t read the rules) or intentionally (you did it several times)
at the discretion of the Groups’ admins/moderators are the following possible actions (without obligatory sending warnings to members before or after taking following actions), with the clear pointer which Groups’ rule(s) were broken:
- all your posts/comments can be deleted, or/and
- your posts can be put in approval status, or/and
- you can be “muted” for some time, or/and
- you can be removed from the Group(s), or/and
- you can be banned from that group